It is very important to stay hydrated in the summer months when it is hot outside, but we should remember it is just as important during the other months. For example, winter weather can strain your body just as much as a hot summer day. It can leave your skin dry and your body dehydrated. This is something we do not think about in the winter because we are not hot. The same goes for Spring and Fall.
Your body needs to stay hydrated because hydration helps regulate your body temperature, keep your joints lubricated, fight and prevent disease, and keep your organs healthy and functioning properly.
Following these five tips daily, you will be able to stay hydrated whether it is very hot, very cold, or in between.
- Drink 80-100oz of water throughout the day
- Carry a refillable water bottle with you
- Eat foods with high water content
- Avoid alcohol, sugary drinks, and caffeine during the day
- Schedule times to cool down during strenuous physical activities
At NoVa Spine and Wellness we coach our clients in nutritional and healthy lifestyles. If you would have questions or would like to learn more about proper dieting, exercise, and lifestyle modification, we would be happy to talk to you. Call 703-447-1121.