According to American Chiropractic Association, 31 million Americans experience lower back. Their statistics show that back pain is one of the most common reasons for missed work. Here are a few other statistics from their website:
- Up to 80% of the population will experience back pain at some point in their lives
- Low-back pain costs Americans at least $50 billion in health care costs each year
- Worldwide, years lived with disability caused by low back pain have increased by 54% between 1990 and 2015.
You can view all statistics at https://www.acatoday.org/Patients/What-is-Chiropractic/Back-Pain-Facts-and-Statistics
On top of this, according to Mayo Clinic, neck pain which is the fourth leading cause of disability, and “Most episodes of acute neck pain will resolve with or without treatment, but nearly 50% of individuals will continue to experience some degree of pain or frequent occurrences.”
Although back and neck pain is very common, the good news is that you do not have to live with it. One of the major medical advancements in chiropractic care is Chiropractic BioPhysics (CBP). CBP is a technique that helps with long-term healing and relief by focusing on the cause of many health conditions: the spine. When the spine is misaligned, issues arise including poor posture and movement, injuries, and a decrease in nerve energy flow. All of this leads to health problems throughout your body and its functions. CBP focuses on spinal rehabilitation and correction of posture through chiropractic adjustment, specific exercises, and stretching.
There are few things you can do to help prevent back and neck pain such as:
- When you are standing or sitting, use good posture. Good posture minimizes unnecessary stress on your back and neck.
- If you sit for long periods of time (working in front of a computer, playing video games, driving a vehicle, etc.), take frequent breaks. Walk around and stretch.
- Move your phone closer to eye level so your head does not have to tilt forward.
- Adjust your computer monitor so that it is eye level to help with good posture.
- Stay active and eat healthily. Being overweight causes extra strain on your lower back.
- Quit smoking. It can restrict the flow of blood which makes back pain more common in smokers.
- Do not leave your wallet in your back pocket when you are sitting. It can misalign your posture and cause back and neck pain.
However, if you are experiencing back and neck pain even with preventative measures, something else may be going on. At NoVa Spine and Wellness, Dr. Nick Weber uses Chiropractic BioPhysics to focus on finding the biomechanical cause of your problems and seeks to rehabilitate the spine to restore normal motion and function to not only alleviate the symptoms but also provide long term relief. X-rays help Dr. Weber find the issue and then he customizes a treatment plan to help you heal and experience long-term relief. Call Dr. Weber’s office at 703-447-1121 for a free phone consultation or schedule an appointment through the website.