One time or another, or maybe on a consistent basis, we work from our couch or bed when we work from home. Why? A couch or bed is more comfortable. That is, at the moment. However, working in a slouched position for a long period of time can lead to neck and shoulder pain, lower back pain, wrist pain, and even numbness and tingling in the fingers.
Working from home on a couch or bed can also lead to fatigue because your neck, back, hips, and other parts of the body are strained. You may not feel the strain right away which is why it can have lasting negative effects.
This can be prevented. The first thing is to resist the urge to work on your couch or bed even though it looks more comfortable and has a dedicated proper workspace set up. Whether your dedicated workspace is a desk or kitchen table, the following tips can help you avoid fatigue and injury.
- Use an office chair lumbar support for your spine, so your head and neck are straight and your shoulders are straight.
- Your display should be set at a comfortable height. If your eye level is 2-3 inches below the top of the screen, your display is at a comfortable height.
- Make sure your elbows bend at a 90-degree angle and your wrists are flat at the keyboard.
- Good lighting reduces fatigue and strain on the eyes. Working in a room with sufficient natural lighting is ideal, but if you do not have windows, make sure you have overhead lighting with proper task lighting (localized lighting).
- Get up and move around every 30 minutes. It helps your legs and posture stay healthy, and it helps you to stay focused throughout the day.
Follow these steps and you will have more energy and less pain throughout the day. Save the couch for the evening when you want to relax. Your body and mind will thank you for it. However, when you are working from home, if you are feeling pain as a result of working on the couch or bed for too long and live in the Northern Virginia area, call us for a free phone consultation at 703-447-1121 and to learn about our Chiropractic Biophysic Services.